The City Controller is charged by the City Charter to be the auditor and general accountant of the City. In order to fulfill the Controller’s Charter mandated functions, the City Controller’s Office has three major divisions – Auditing, Accounting Operations and Financial Analysis and Reporting.

Great question!

They're the same position, spelled differently. And according to this interesting NPR story, both should be pronounced "controller."

Executive: 8AM-5PM
Operations Sections (Payroll, Paymaster, etc.): 8AM-4PM

Office of the Controller
200 N. Main Street, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90012
213-978-7200, phone
213-978-7211, fax

Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse of City Resources                                       

CALL: 1-866-428-1514

(toll free 24 hrs - 7 days/week)

Or file a web-based report

Please indicate "City of Los Angeles" in the Company/Organization field  


The City of Los Angeles, Office of the Controller, operates a confidential hotline for City employees, contractors, citizens and other interested parties to report fraud, waste and abuse affecting City resources. The City has contracted with an independent company (The Network) whose trained intake specialists will receive all calls and web-based reports. You may remain anonymous.

What to Report

  •   Theft of City resources (e.g., cash, equipment, supplies or materials)
  •   Record falsification
  •   Payroll fraud or time abuse
  •   Kickbacks or bribes
  •   Intentional misuse of City equipment or property
  •   Contractor fraud
  •   Gross mismanagement of resources, including careless expenditures
  •   Gross disregard of policy and procedural controls

Complaint Evaluation

The Controller's Fraud, Waste and Abuse Unit will conduct a thorough analysis of each complaint. In order to protect the confidential reporting process, updates of actions will not be provided.

Additional City Contacts:

  •   General City Services, information & complaints 3-1-1 or 213-473-3231
  •   Non-Emergency Police Service 877-ASK-LAPD
  •   City Campaign and Ethics Violations (800) 824-4825
  •   Workers Compensation Fraud (877) 742-5352

Other Non-City Hotlines or agencies to report:

We're always anxious to hear new ideas about how we can improve City services and increase efficiencies. To share your ideas with us, visit this page.

To access audits conducted by Controller Galperin, visit our "Audits and Reports" page here. You can also search for your audit by using the search button in the upper right of this page.

Audit ideas come initially from a variety of sources: the Controller himself, the Auditing Department, other elected officials and the public.

Once ideas have been generated, our team of professional auditors examines them and determines which merit auditing based on a series of auditing protocols known as "risk assessments."

Do you have an idea for an audit? If so, share it with us on this page.

Download the California Public Records Act Guide.

The Office of the Los Angeles City Controller is the Custodian of certain records including, but not limited to:

• Citywide employee payroll
• Citywide audit reports
• Citywide fund accounts
• Vendor payments
• Financial reports

If you are requesting electronic or paper copies of the records as described above, please submit in writing your request to Controller.Galperin@lacity.org, including:

• Name
• Contact information, i.e. email and/or phone number
• Specific details
• Dates involved
• Method of delivery

Please Note: the Office of the Controller can only provide records of which we have custody. Please allow up to ten calendar days to receive a response to your request.

If you are seeking records from other City Departments, please refer to this list of City of Los Angeles, Public Records Act Coordinators, who may be able to assist you. 


The duplication fee is $1.00 per request, $0.10 per page for standard-sized document (8.5 x 11 inch or 8.5 x 14 inch white paper with black ink) and $0.25 per page for large-sized documents (11 x 17 inch white paper with black ink).

Additional costs may apply for postage (U.S. Mail or expedited delivery), photographs, or electronic records where special programming is required. 

All payments are due at the time record reproduction is provided.

Payment may be made in cash or check, payable in U.S. fund to: City of Los Angeles